Our Kid Group Surf class is meant for students of all skill levels, age 7 and up (Note: it is typically all kids but we are happy to have adults join, too!). Whether your child is a beginner, intermediate or more advanced surfer, this 3-hour class can be customized accordingly. This class is at all 3 of our locations — Spring Lake, Lavallette and Seaside Park. New surfers will do a brief tutorial on the sand before heading into the water while more veteran groms will head immediately into the ocean after a short warm up. Next, the group is broken up and assigned to various instructors (with a guaranteed 4:1 ratio however we are often at 3:1) so that we are always providing customized instruction. As long as weather and surf conditions cooperate, we will only take a short break. This allows students to have water, a snack, etc. If for any reason that is not possible and we need to spend time on the sand, we then use it as a way to practice exercise drills that can help with strength and balance while surfing, or even ‘games’ that help students get more comfortable in the ocean.
WHAT TO KNOW
- We provide all you need to surf — including a wetsuit and board. Please have your child show up in a bathing suit, with a towel, sunscreen and anything else they may need in a small bag. (They can leave their items under our tent — however, do not send them with anything valuable, as although we consider belongings safe, we cannot be held responsible for missing items.)
- If you have your own board or wetsuit, you are welcome to use them. Only Advanced Surfers can use a hard board for the other children’s safety.
- Please send your child with a drink and snack as we will take a short break.
- At our Spring Lake and Lavallette locations, HSS student(s) as well as parents/guardians do NOT need a beach badge to access the beach during the 3-hour Group Surf.
- At our Seaside Park location, HSS can provide a beach badge for the HSS student(s) plus one parent or guardian during the 3-Hour Group Surf. Additional guests must purchase a daily beach badge.
- Advanced registration is required. Please click Sign Up below to log into your account or create an account and book a Kid’s Group Surf class.
- If you would like to know the forecasted ocean conditions, please call or email us the day before your child’s scheduled lesson.
- We have a 12-hour cancellation policy for all group classes. Which means you must log into each child’s account and press Early Cancel in their schedule to get the class back into your account prior to 12 hours before the start of the class. See FAQ for more information.
- We are located on the beach at Remsen Avenue in Spring Lake; 5th Avenue in Seaside Park; Brown Avenue in Lavallette. Click the location boxes below for a Google Map pin to open up and bring you right to us!
- 1/3/5 packs expire the same summer you purchase them and are for individual students only; however 6 packs and higher are valid for 18 months from purchase so they do extend into the next summer and are okay for siblings to share (not friends or extended family.)
Please see the calendar to view our 2019 schedule!
- There is a different start time each week to average out the best time for low tide. Please scroll down to see the Kid Group Surf schedule.
- In Spring Lake and Lavallette, the Kid Group Surf class is daily Monday to Saturday. In Seaside Park, it is Monday to Friday.
- We don’t require you to book any Kid Group Surf classes consecutively. Think of it like buying ‘credits’ that go into your child’s account for you to log in and book as your schedule permits. If you are booking multiple days in a row, click SIGN UP for each day you want to book. Click MY INFO then MY SCHEDULE to see your child’s upcoming schedule to be sure you chose the correct days.
But our class schedule is currently unavailable.
Check back this spring for the new schedule!
1 Kid Group Surf Class
3 Kid Group Surf Classes
5 Kid Group Surf Classes
6 Kid Group Surf Classes*
10 Kid Group Surf Classes*
15 Kid Group Surf Classes*
20 Kid Group Surf Classes*
*Only for siblings to share.
All other packages are for individual students only.