Sam Hammer started Hammer Surf Team in 2016 to coach and mentor young surfers. He uses his elite background and competitive knowledge to transform their surfing. From correcting bad habits to mastering new skills and learning contest and heat strategy, your child’s surfing will benefit greatly, while enjoying water time alongside other young surfers with a wide range of skill levels. Sam is able to offer unparalleled personalized coaching in a fun group setting.
GENERAL PROGRAM DETAILS
- Each season (fall, spring and summer and winter) a new Hammer Surf Team program will begin. In fall, spring and summer Hammer Surf Team will meet for 2 practices per week for 8 weeks (16 practices total). Practices are 1 hour and 30 minutes. For winter, Sam will decide weekly, which weekend day/time works best for the conditions.
- Hammer Surf Team’s home base is Remsen Avenue, Spring Lake. This will change only if needed due to conditions or due to a special plan by Sam Hammer and all will receive advance notice if that is the case.
- Each student will receive seasonally appropriate Hammer Surf Team merch as well as board stickers.
- We will always plan to be in the water as much as possible however, Coach Sam Hammer will decide to do on-the-sand endurance drills (such as sprints and other exercise moves) as he sees fit to go along with weather/ocean conditions but also to help promote endurance and cross training needed for surfing.
- We typically recommend that surfers are age 9 and older — however, please reach out with any specific age questions.
- Sam requires a minimum of a half/8 practice commitment. It is your responsibility to attend the sessions you purchase. No refunds or transfers to a new program or for other purchases. Practice purchases expire at the end of that season’s program.
- We will hold an open Hammer Surf Team tryout before each season so that Sam can see the skill level of each new member. Please watch our social media pages for the announcement each season. Your RSVP for tryouts is required along with having an account in our system in the surfer(s)’ name. Please click SIGN UP to create one. Please email email@example.com to share the surfer’s name, age and set up a tryout time.
- Tryouts will include 15-20 minute contest-like heats of free surfing as well as a swim test.
- Every Hammer Surf Team member should have their own equipment including a board and wetsuit. If your child has not yet transitioned to a hard board, they can complete the tryout with a foam board (yours or ours) and then one of the coaches will make a suggestion for what type of board to buy based on their height, weight and skill level. We prefer you to wait to make sure you purchase the best and right equipment.
- For winter, surfers must feel comfortable surfing in colder NJ conditions and have proper winter surfing gear.
WINTER HAMMER SURF TEAM DETAILS
- The winter team tryouts are at Remsen Ave. Please email firstname.lastname@example.org to share the surfer’s name, age of who is attending; and click SIGN UP on our site to make an account if they don’t already have one.
- The program will begin the week of 11.15.20 and run through approximately the last week of March 2020. There will be 1 weekend practice each week.
- For winter team only, there are not set days/times for practice. Each week an email will go out to those ON the winter team only to tell them when the upcoming practice is and that it is added to the schedule so the team member can purchase the single session and add their name to the list. Advanced registration is required.
- Practices will be held on Remsen Ave in Spring Lake. Please click the box below for a Google Pin of our exact meeting point.
- We typically recommend that surfers are age 9 and older — however, please reach out with any specific age questions. Surfers must have their own gear and board and feel comfortable paddling and riding waves solo.