Sam Hammer started Hammer Surf Team in 2016 to coach and mentor young surfers. He uses his elite background and competitive knowledge to transform their surfing. From correcting bad habits to mastering new skills and learning contest and heat strategy, your child’s surfing will benefit greatly, while enjoying water time alongside other young surfers with a wide range of skill levels. Sam is able to offer unparalleled personalized coaching in a fun group setting.
- Each season (fall, spring and summer and winter) a new Hammer Surf Team program will begin. In fall, spring and summer Hammer Surf Team will meet for 2 practices per week for 8 weeks (16 practices total). Practices are 1 hour and 30 minutes. For winter, Sam will decide weekly, which weekend day/time works best for the conditions.
- Hammer Surf Team’s home base is Remsen Avenue, Spring Lake. This will change only if needed due to conditions or due to a special plan by Sam Hammer and all will receive advance notice if that is the case.
- Each student will receive seasonally appropriate Hammer Surf Team merch as well as board stickers.
- We will always plan to be in the water as much as possible however, Coach Sam Hammer will decide to do on-the-sand endurance drills (such as sprints and other exercise moves) as he sees fit to go along with weather/ocean conditions but also to help promote endurance and cross training needed for surfing.
- We typically recommend that surfers are age 9 and older — however, please reach out with any specific age questions.
- We will hold an open Hammer Surf Team tryout before each season so that Sam can see the skill level of each new member. Your RSVP for tryouts is required along with having an account in our system in the surfer(s)’ name. Please click SIGN UP to create one.
- The summer team tryout will be on Sunday 6.23.19 at 9 am at Remsen Avenue. Please click the Google Map below for a pin of our location. Please email firstname.lastname@example.org to share the surfer’s name, age and attendance.
- Tryouts will include 15-20 minute contest-like heats of free surfing as well as a swim test.
- Every Hammer Surf Team member should have their own equipment including a board and wetsuit. If your child has not yet transitioned to a hard board, they can complete the tryout with a foam board (yours or ours) and then one of the coaches will make a suggestion for what type of board to buy based on their height, weight and skill level. We prefer you to wait to make sure you purchase the best and right equipment.
- For winter, surfers must feel comfortable surfing in colder NJ conditions and have proper winter surfing gear.
SUMMER 2019 HAMMER SURF TEAM
- The summer Hammer Surf Team program will run from the week of 6.30.19 through the week of 8.18.19. The first practice is Tuesday 7.2.19. The last practice will be Friday 8.23.19.
- There will be 2 practices each week – Tuesdays from 8:30 am to 10 am and Fridays from 8:30am to 10 am. We require team members to choose between a full program (all 16 sessions, 2x a week) or a half program (any 8 sessions which you may add single sessions on to if you would like). Please contact us with any questions.
- Practices will be held on Remsen Ave in Spring Lake. Please click the box below for a Google Pin of our exact meeting point.
- We typically recommend that surfers are age 9 and older — however, please reach out with any specific age questions. Surfers must have their own gear and board and feel comfortable paddling and riding waves solo.