Sam Hammer started Hammer Surf Team in 2016 to coach and mentor young surfers. He uses his elite background and competitive knowledge to transform their surfing. From correcting bad habits to mastering new skills and learning contest and heat strategy, your child’s surfing will benefit greatly, while enjoying water time alongside other young surfers with a wide range of skill levels. Sam along with his select group of HST Coaches are able to offer unparalleled personalized coaching in a fun group setting.
- Fall HST will begin the week of 8.28, and run for 8 weeks.
- Each season (fall, spring and summer and winter) a new Hammer Surf Team program will begin. In fall, spring and summer Hammer Surf Team will meet for 2 practices per week for 8 weeks (16 practices total). Practices are 75 minutes. For winter, Sam will decide weekly, which day/time works best for the conditions, and practices are 1 hour.
- Hammer Surf Team’s home base is Remsen Avenue, Spring Lake.
- Each student will receive seasonally appropriate Hammer Surf Team merch as well as board stickers.
- We will always plan to be in the water as much as possible however, Coach Sam Hammer will decide to do on-the-sand endurance drills (such as sprints and other exercise moves) as he sees fit to go along with weather/ocean conditions but also to help promote endurance and cross training needed for surfing.
- We typically recommend that surfers are age 9 and older — however, please reach out with any specific age questions.
- Sam requires a minimum of a half/8 practice commitment. It is your responsibility to attend the sessions you purchase. No refunds or transfers to a new program or for other purchases. Practice purchases expire at the end of that season’s program.
- You must have your own board and wetsuit.
- For winter, surfers must feel comfortable surfing in colder NJ conditions and have proper winter surfing gear.
- We will hold an open Hammer Surf Team tryout before each season so that Sam can see the skill level of each new member. Fall Tryouts are Sunday 8.13 at 11am. Your RSVP for tryouts is required along with having an account in our system in the surfer(s)’ name. Please click SIGN UP to create one. Please email email@example.com to share the surfer’s name and age.
- Tryouts will include 15-20 minute contest-like heats of free surfing as well as a swim test.
- Every Hammer Surf Team member should have their own equipment including a board and wetsuit. If your child has not yet transitioned to a hard board, they can complete the tryout with a foam board (yours or ours) and then one of the coaches will make a suggestion for what type of board to buy based on their height, weight and skill level. We prefer you to wait to make sure you purchase the best and right equipment.