Sam Hammer started Hammer Surf Team in 2016 to coach and mentor young surfers. He uses his elite background and competitive knowledge to transform their surfing. From correcting bad habits to mastering new skills and learning contest and heat strategy, your child’s surfing will benefit greatly, while enjoying water time alongside other young surfers with a wide range of skill levels. Sam has teamed up with Senior Hammer Surf School instructor Nick Blunda and pro surfer and Senior Hammer Surf School instructor Mike Gleason to offer unparalleled personalized coaching by the best in NJ surfing in a fun group setting.
- Each season (fall, spring and summer) a new Hammer Surf Team program will begin. Hammer Surf Team will meet for 2 practices per week for 8 weeks (16 practices total). Practices are 1 hour and 30 minutes.
- Hammer Surf Team’s home base is Remsen Avenue, Spring Lake. This will change only if needed due to conditions or due to a special plan by Sam Hammer and all will receive advance notice if that is the case.
- Each student will receive a Hammer Surf Team t-shirt, hat and board stickers.
- We will always plan to be in the water as much as possible however, Coach Sam Hammer will decide to do on-the-sand endurance drills (such as sprints and other exercise moves) as he sees fit to go along with weather/ocean conditions but also to help promote endurance and cross training needed for surfing.
- We will hold an open Hammer Surf Team tryout before each season so that Sam Hammer and co-coaches Mike Gleason and Nick Blunda can see the skill level of each new member. Email us to see when this is or watch our Instagram and Facebook pages for an announcement. Your RSVP for tryouts is requested.
- Tryouts will include 15-20 minute contest-like heats of free surfing as well as a swim test.
- Every Hammer Surf Team member should have their own equipment including a board and wetsuit. If your child has not yet transitioned to a hard board, they can complete the tryout with a foam board (yours or ours) and then one of the coaches will make a suggestion for what type of board to buy based on their height, weight and skill level. We prefer you to wait to make sure you purchase the best and right equipment.
FALL 2017 HAMMER SURF TEAM
- The fall Hammer Surf Team program will run from 9.12.17 to 11.4.17.
- There will be 1 weekday practice every Tuesday at 4 pm and 1 weekend practice every Saturday at 9 am.
- You can choose to do a full program (16 practices over 8 weeks) or a half program (any 8 practice sessions).
- Email Nicole@hammersurfschool.com for more information or if you have any questions.